Through the SINP Entrepreneur Program, you and your family can start, obtain or partner in a business in Saskatchewan and be actively involved in managing it, while residing in Saskatchewan.
The Entrepreneur Category Process
There are three steps to the nomination process:
- Expression of Interest (EOI) submission to the SINP
- EOI Selection and Invitation to Submit an Application
- Candidates’ EOIs are selected based on their points score with those with the highest points selected during each draw. The number selected is dependent on program requirements (e.g. application inventory).
- After candidates are invited to apply, applications are processed in the order that they are received.
The SINP does not provide priority processing or preferential treatment for any applications, and all applicants must meet all program requirements.
The Expression of Interest (EOI)
The EOI is not an application; it is an expression of your interest in the SINP. Prospective immigrants will indicate their interest in operating a business and living in Saskatchewan by providing required information about their entrepreneurial experience, assets, and Business Establishment Plan (BEP), among other factors.
- Candidates who meet the minimum entry criteria will be accepted into the EOI candidate pool.
- Once submitted, EOIs are scored and ranked using the Points Grid.
We select EOIs based on the EOI Points Assessment ranking and SINP nomination targets. Submitting an EOI does not guarantee selection for processing. Please visit Selected EOI Candidates for information regarding recent EOIs selected from the EOI application pool.
Before You Submit Your EOI
Note the following important information, before you submit your EOI:
- To submit an EOI to the SINP, you must:
- Meet the minimum entry criteria; and
- Complete the Points Assessment Grid in order to be scored once your EOI is in the pool of candidates.
- To meet the minimum entry criteria you must:
- Have $500,000 (CAD) at minimum in Net Business and Personal Assets;
- Have a minimum of three years of relevant business management or entrepreneurial experience gained in the past ten years; and,
- Intend to invest a minimum of $300,000 (CAD) in Regina and Saskatoon or a minimum of $200,000 (CAD) in all other Saskatchewan communities.
- Well assess the information you provide in your EOI against the points grid to rank your EOI in the pool of candidates. Candidates are then selected from the EOI system based on their score, with top scoring EOIs being prioritized for selection. Selected candidates are invited to apply to the SINP.
- If you are invited to apply you must submit a Business Establishment Plan (BEP) that corresponds to the information in your EOI. Your BEP must include:
- Your plan to establish a business that aligns with the points assigned in the Entrepreneur Category Points Grid, if applicable (for investment amount and sector);
- Your ownership of at least one third (33 1/3 per cent) of the equity of a business in Saskatchewan, unless your total investment is $1 million CAD or higher;
- Your commitment to provide active and on-going participation in the day-to-day management and direction of the business; and
- The creation of two employment opportunities in Saskatchewan for Canadians or permanent residents who are not related to you.
- This only applies if youre establishing a new business in Regina or Saskatoon.
Please note that the SINP reserves the right to have Business Establishment Plans assessed by professional third parties identified by the Government of Saskatchewan. The assessment conducted by Third Parties will focus on the preparation and due diligence conducted by the applicant in preparing their proposed business plan.
Who is not eligible to apply under the Entrepreneur Category?
The following are not eligible to apply to the Entrepreneur Category:
- Refugee claimants in Canada who are claiming refugee status from the Government of Canada.
- People living illegally in their country of residence or Canada.
- Persons who have had a removal order issued against them by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or Canada Border Services Agency.
- People who are prohibited from entering Canada.
You may not be eligible for immigration to Canada if any of the following situations is true:
- You or any dependent family member (accompanying or not) has a serious medical condition.
- You or any dependent family member over the age of 18 (accompanying or not) has a criminal record.
- You have unresolved custody or child support disputes affecting any member of your family.
- You have intentionally misrepresented yourself in the application.
Expression of Interest (EOI) Submission to the SINP
Please follow these steps to submit your EOI to the program:
- Only those who meet the minimum eligibility criteria can submit an EOI.
- If you are eligible to apply under the Entrepreneur category review the Points Grid.
- Complete your EOI online. Instructions are provided during the online application. The system will calculate your score based upon the information you enter and your EOI will be placed in a pool for potential selection. Only EOIs with all sections completed can be submitted.
- If selected, your EOI will form part of your application. You must be sure your EOI is up to date at the time of submission, and that all answers are accurate and truthful. If your EOI is not up to date and its found that you or any person associated with your application omitted relevant information or provided misleading or fraudulent information at the time of assessment, your application will be rejected and youll be unable to apply to the SINP for a period of two years.
- Be sure you understand the questions before you provide an answer. If youre unsure, use the help icons or review this page again.
- Theres no fee for submitting an EOI.
- You wont need to attach any documents to your EOI. However, you will be required to attach documents, including translations if necessary, if youre invited by the SINP to submit an electronic application.
- Your EOI is ranked based upon your points assessment score, after which its placed in an EOI pool.
- EOIs can remain in the pool for 12 months from the date of receipt.
- If your EOI is not selected during this time it will be removed from the pool and you will be able to reapply if you want to.
- If youre able to acquire additional points after starting your EOI, you can update your pendingEOI with current information before its submitted.
- Once your EOI has been submitted youll not be able to update it. If your EOI is selected it will be removed from the pool and youll no longer be able to update it. Points for age are awarded based on your age on the date you submit your EOI.
The EOI Selection and Invitation to Submit an Application
EOIs are assessed based upon the criteria in place at the time when your EOI was submitted. If your EOI is selected it will be removed from the application pool and you will no longer be able to update it. Selection doesnt guarantee your application will be approved or that youll receive a nomination or permanent residence.
After your EOI has been selected:
- Youll receive an Invitation to Submit an Application (ISA) letter. The letter will include a file number. If your application doesnt match the information in your EOI it will be rejected and youll be unable to submit an EOI or apply to the SINP for two years.
- If your situation or any of your information has changed and the changes would result in a loss of points or you would no longer meet the minimum criteria then you should request to withdraw your EOI and not submit an application.
- Youll have 20 calendar days from the date of the ISA letter in which to:
- Pay a $2,500.00 CAD non-refundable processing fee; and,
- Select and identify a recognized third party financial review service provider on your online application.
- Youll have 90 calendar days from the date of the ISA letter in which to:
- Submit your complete electronic application, including all required supporting documents; and
- Submit your BEP.
- Youll have 180 calendar days from the date of the ISA letter in which to:
- Submit your Third Party Verification Report.
- Youre responsible for submitting the required documents to the Third Party Verification provider (see the Third Party Entrepreneur Category Document Checklist).
- The Third Party Verification provider may request further documents or information and may call you for an interview if necessary.
- Submit your Third Party Verification Report.
- If youve not submitted the required information or processing fee within the time given, your invitation to apply will expire and your application may be closed and removed from the system.
- If your application has been removed from the system and youre still interested in applying to the SINP youll have to submit a new EOI, under the relevant criteria in place at the time of submission.
- Youll need to upload supporting documents to your electronic application.
- Carefully review the document checklists for a full list of all required documents.
- All documentation must be provided in English or French.
- Where documents are in a language other than English or French, you must submit an electronic copy of the original document, as well as an electronic copy of its translation and a translator affidavit.
- If your application is accepted for processing and the information you provided changes, such as your family composition, marital status, country of residence, contact information, etc., you must inform the SINP. Youre required to update your application even if your visa has already been issued.
Required documents are the documents required for your immigration application (e.g. documents that prove your identity, entrepreneurial experience, language ability, finances, etc.).