Saskatchewan Students

 Saskatchewan has many quality work opportunities for international students and graduates.  Here you will find information about requirements for working while you are a student and after you graduate.  

It is possible to work in Saskatchewan while you are here as a student. Some institutions may offer co-op/internship opportunities for students depending on their program of study. With the changes to the International Student Program, full-time international students enrolled at designated post-secondary educational institutions may work part-time off campus and full-time during scheduled school breaks without a work permit. However, if you wish to work as part of a co-op/internship program, you will need to apply for a co-op work permit.

To learn more about your eligibility to work while you study, please visit Get a Student Work Permit.

After you graduate

After you finish your program of studies, you may have several options to remain in Saskatchewan.

Work after you graduate

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program provides eligible international graduating students with an opportunity to work in Canada for up to three years. Visit Stay in Canada after Graduation for more information.  

Saskatchewan’s growing economy and population have contributed to competitive wages and strong job prospects in the province. There are many quality work opportunities for international graduates. For information career opportunities available in Saskatchewan, visit the Work Section and For a list of in-demand occupations in Saskatchewan, visit the Detailed Occupational Outlook 2015 to 2019.

Graduate Retention Program

Anyone who graduates in 2006 or later from an approved program at an eligible institution and lives in Saskatchewan is eligible to apply for the Graduate Retention Program.  

The program provides a tax credit of up to $20,000 of tuition fees paid by eligible graduates (including international graduates) who live in Saskatchewan and who file a Saskatchewan income tax return.

Become a Permanent Resident

You may decide that you want to stay in Saskatchewan permanently after you finish your studies. You may consider applying for permanent residency through the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program or the Canadian Express Entry.

Before you apply, make sure you know the requirements and current application procedures as the policies are subject to change.