Alberta Engineering Occupations


Engineering Occupations Criteria

The criteria for the Engineering Occupations Category include but are not limited to:

  • You must be currently residing in Alberta.
  • You must intend to and be able to live permanently in Alberta.
  • You must provide evidence of related education/training and experience as an engineer, designer or drafter.
  • You must be currently working or have worked within the last two years in Alberta either directly or on contract for an Alberta Employer.
  • Your occupation in Alberta must be on the AINP Strategic Recruitment Stream Engineering Occupations List.
  • If you have engineering credentials and you are working in an occupation under NOC 0211, 2131, 2132, 2133, 2134, 2141, 2143, 2144, or 2145, you must provide a "Letter of No Objection" from the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) or show that you are registered with APEGA as a foreign licensee.
  • If you are working in an occupation under NOC 2231, 2232, 2241 or 2253 you do not require a "Letter of No Objection" from APEGA.

If you meet these criteria, make sure you review the How to Apply section before you submit your application. If your application does not meet AINP criteria, it will be declined. If your application is not complete, it will be returned to you and it will not be processed.

If you are an engineer but your NOC code is not on the Engineering Occupations List, you may qualify to submit an AINP application under the Skilled Worker category of the Employer-Driven Stream. Visit the Skilled Worker criteria to see if you qualify.

Meeting the criteria listed above does not guarantee a nomination or permanent residence.

Who is not eligible?

In addition to individuals who are not working in an occupation listed on the AINP Strategic Recruitment Stream Engineering Occupations List, individuals in the following circumstances are not eligible under the Strategic Recruitment Stream:

  • Refugee claimants, or individuals involved in a federal appeal or removal process. It is not the mandate of the AINP to intervene in the federal refugee claim, appeal or removal process.
  • Live-in Caregivers currently living in Canada
  • Temporary Foreign Workers working and residing in a province other than Alberta
  • International students studying in Canada, including students doing co-op work placements or internships as part of their study program.