Alberta Skilled Worker


Skilled Worker Criteria

Skilled Worker Category Criteria include but are not limited to:

Alberta Employer criteria

As an Alberta Employer, you must:

  • Be incorporated or registered by or under an act of the legislature of a province or the Parliament of Canada and operating as a business that has an established production capability, plant or place of business in Alberta.
  • Provide a job offer to the Candidate for permanent, full-time employment in a skilled occupation. A skilled occupation is an occupation that falls under one of the following skills levels under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system:
    • NOC 0: Includes management occupations that usually require a university degree (bachelors, masters or doctorate) or a professional designation.
    • NOC A: Includes occupations that usually require university education.
    • NOC B: Includes occupations that usually require college education.
  • Provide a job offer to the Candidate that:
    • meets Albertas employment and wage standards
    • does not conflict with existing collective bargaining agreements. The AINP will not approve an application if there is a labour dispute in progress that may involve, directly or indirectly, either the employer or the candidate.
  • Provide proof of your authorization to hire a foreign worker by showing either the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), or evidence of the LMIA exemption.
    • If there is an LMIA in place for the Candidate, you must show that you are following all the conditions of the LMIA (including salary).
    • If the Candidate is exempt from an LMIA, you must show you are offering wages and benefits to the Candidate that meet industry standards. Visit the ALIS website for wage and benefit standards in Alberta by occupation.
  • Clearly show the need for the position and that you have made a significant effort to hire a Canadian or permanent resident of Canada for the position only if the Candidate is not currently working in Alberta (is abroad).
  • Meet additional criteria if the Candidates occupation is in:

Candidate criteria

As a Candidate, you must:

  • Clearly show in the application that you are able to and intend to live permanently in Alberta.
  • Have related education, training, previous work experience, and any Alberta licensing needed for the position and to meet AINP criteria.
  • Provide a copy of your valid work permit if you are already working in Alberta.
  • Provide proof of your legal status in your country of residence only if you are not currently working in Alberta (you are living abroad).
  • Meet additional criteria if your occupation is in Early childhood educators and child care staff

Meeting the criteria listed above does not guarantee a nomination or permanent residence.

back to top )

Additional criteria - Early Childhood Educators and Child Care Staff

As an Alberta Employer of an Early Childhood Educator, you must also:

As an Early Childhood Educator Candidate, you must also:

  • Hold a work permit under the NOC code 4214 and be residing in Alberta
  • Have completed a minimum of high school education
  • Be certified as a Child Development Worker (Level 2) or Child Development Supervisor (Level 3) through Alberta Human Services – Child Care Staff Certification Office.
  • Be employed in Alberta for a minimum of six (6) months with a pre/accredited daycare program or family day home agency before applying to the AINP

Preference will be given to Candidates who have completed a first aid course.

back to top )

Meeting the criteria listed above does not guarantee a nomination or permanent residence.

Who is not eligible?

The following are not eligible under the AINP Employer-Driven Stream, Skilled Worker Category:

  • Supervisors, foremen and tradespeople, working in a Compulsory or Optional Trade in Alberta (including Chefs, Cooks, and Line Cooks)
  • Clergy, Elementary and Secondary School Teachers, Professional Athletes and Dental Laboratory Bench Workers.
  • Refugee claimants, or individuals involved in a federal appeal or removal process. It is not the mandate of the AINP to intervene in the federal refugee claim, appeal or removal process
  • Live-in Caregivers currently living in Canada
  • Temporary Foreign Workers working and residing in a province other than Alberta
  • International students studying in Canada, including students doing co-op work placements or internships as part of their study program.